Each year, more than 2,000 community-owned utilities across the nation observe Public Power Week during the first full week of October. Public Power Week is a celebration of these not-for-profit electric utilities that proudly serve the electric power needs of about 40 million Americans - or almost 15 percent of electricity consumers.
Every public power system is different due to its community's population, geography, climate, natural resources, economy, and local government structure. However, all public power systems have in common their purpose: to provide adequate, reliable, not-for-profit electricity at a reasonable price with proper protection of the environment.
New Holstein Utilities typically celebrates Public Power Week in late September or early October. We typically celebrate by offering refreshments at our office, give away small gifts as a token of our appreciation to serve the community and by giving away some prizes. We have also had ice cream socials, ran contests, hosted town hall meetings with customers, conducted recycling events and given tours of our facilities.
Events planned for 2017:
* The week of October 2 through 6, stop by the NHU office for refreshments and small tokens of appreciation. Customers may sign up for the opportunity to win four, $25 New Holstein Chamber of Commerce gift certificates.
* We are accepting donations of unexpired, non-perishable food items or personal care products during the week. The items collected will then be given to the New Holstein Food Pantry. Customers bringing in three or more products will receive a LED light bulb.
* On Monday, October 2, NHU will roll out our updated web site (thanks for visiting our updated web site!) and our customers can participate in a contest to win an Amazon Alexa/Echo.
* Our fall recycling event will be held on Wednesday, October 4 at the NHU utility garage located at 1819 Park Avenue from 7:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. See details on the web site.
* Customers are invited to participate in an ice cream social on Thursday, October 5 from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. at our office. Come and enjoy a sweet treat on us!
Join us in celebrating Public Power Week!